Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Five

When I said, "People need their MTV, and I need my QVC," I did not mean for "People" and "I" to be mutually exclusive. Believe it or not, I am, in fact, a quite personable person.

This afternoon, I enjoyed a bag of Strawberry-flavored fruit snacks. However, it wasn't an ordinary sack of treats - this pink plastic pouch was tenaciously sealed. There are two ways of opening a closed bag without using tools. There's that half-an-inch-or-less vertically-aligned-along-the-back folded flap for the two-hand-pull technique, and there are those ridges along the top edge of the bag for the "Tear Here" approach. And then there's the person who designed these fruit snack pouches - the "pull-here" flap was an entire three millimeters wide (I measured) and the "tear-here" ridges had a striking resemblance to the graph of y = sin(x). I could only manage to distort/stretch the bag in several directions, after which I spent the next ten minutes looking for a pair of scissors. Nonetheless, in the end when I got to them, those 25 pieces of chewy goodness (I counted), were by far worth the effort.

In other news, I killed a whopping forty-three worms in lab today. When I say worms, I really mean microscopic nematodes (before any earthworm lovers start heckling). Imagine thousands of tiny, slithering, transparent creatures.

A few days ago, as I was packing personal belongings in my house for the end-of-winter-break-and-back-to-college excursion, I found an old sweater from Old Navy that once had "OLDNAVY" printed on the front. Except now, the letters "OL" and "VY" had somehow fallen off, leaving "DNA." A sign of things to come? Of course. D. It was written.

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment